Read all about our Chair, Mark Gamsu’s Favourite Places in Sheffield – This week’s Sheffield Telegraph…….
Last Saturday (28th Jan) representatives from 15 different dance groups turned up at Sheffield City Hall for our inaugural General Meeting.
Everyone agreed what a life affirming, brilliant event Chance to Dance is, and we were all united in our determination to be dancing on the streets on 30th June!
Here we are celebrating on the City Hall steps (and thanks to City Hall for free use of their lovely meeting room.)
Last Friday Mark Gamsu and Bill Newby were interviewed by Paulette Edwards – on her afternoon show on Radio Sheffield – Paulette has always been a big fan of Chance To Dance – and now ‘likes’ our Facebook page. She also said that she would come along on the day and dance.
Our sponsorship guru Amy, is busy populating a list of potential Sheffield business who we hope will want to take this fantastic opportunity to support the event, and raise their profile into the bargain. We are planning a Sponsors’ Breakfast event in the New Year.
Maire McCarthy has been busy working with our friends at Activity Sheffield to put together funding bids to local and national organisations and charities. Fingers crossed!
SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING – date for your diary
We would like to invite all dancers to a Special General Meeting – which will provide you with an opportunity to work with us to ensure that Chance to Dance returns in June. Save the date:
SATURDAY 28 JANUARY 11am-noon at Sheffield City Hall.
If you wish to attend – reply on our facebook page
We have now had our three meetings of the steering group for Chance to Dance Sheffield, and we are making great progress to getting this event going again for 2012.
We have constituted ourselves as a voluntary organisation and have got good support from a range of committed individuals and organisations. These include:
- Mark Gamsu (Chair) – Visiting Professor Leeds Met
- Keith Crawshaw (Treasurer) – Leisure Consultant
- Maire McCarthy (Secretary) – Festivals and Events Organiser
- Sue Bullivant – (MLS)
- Pauline Eveleigh – (Festivals Consultant)
- Sara Unwin – (Arts Management & Festivals)
- Bill Newby – Dancer – Sheffield Tango Argentin0
- Emily Hutchinson – Sheffield Theatres
- Jenny Murphy – Dancer – Belrobics
- Ron Day – South Riding Folk Arts Network – Dancer – Triskele Sword
- Jenny Day – Dancer – Triskele Sword
- Trisha Cooper – BBC Broadcaster, Producer & Media Consultant
- Sarah Nickson – Activity Sheffield
- Rachael Hall – Activity Sheffield
- Amy Elkington – Sponsorship & Marketing Consultant
Group Members / Supporters – (so far….)
- Nisha Lall -Dancer – AimtoDanceandCreate
- Anna Olejnicki – Dancer – Hype Dance
- Errol Barrows – Dance Professional
We will now be focussed on raising money to ensure that Chance to Dance returns on 30th JUNE 2012.
If you would like to help us – particularly with fundraising please contact us on our ‘who we are’ page.
Mark Gamsu – Chair